Sunday, August 06, 2006

Jericho

I wonder what the Israelites felt as they were walking around Jericho. I'm sure that everyone has seen the Veggie Tales dilemma where the Israelites felt foolish to think that walking round the wall will bring the city to its knees. The Jericho-ites even go so far to think they are dehydrated and delusional.

I've never really thought about that part. I've thought about the faith that it would take to walk round a city and believe that God would do as He said. But, God is faithful and powerful so that might not be as hard as we like to think.

Today, I thought about this story in a new way. Now, maybe I am being irrational and me-centered, focusing on the man aspect, but it brought a new truth to my eyes.

Today I decided to walk around Chesterfield Parkway. I was going to just go to the elliptical machine in the fitness center across the street, but when I got outside it felt so good that I decided to go for a walk instead. I had my backpack and a bottle of water so I thought I was set.

But I forgot about the power of the sun. As I set out it was warm, but not hot yet. That was quick to change. As I walked through the shade with my full water bottle my thoughts were selfish and commonplace. But as the sun got higher and the water lower, I started to question my sanity. But, I was strong - or so I thought. I dragged on for a bit more, relying on my own power.

But it wasn't enough. I couldn't make it on my own. And so I prayed for strength to make it home. And I thought about the Israelites walking through the desert around a city. And I thought about Pilgrim, in Pilgrim's Progress. And I thought about my walk - how I selfishly try to make it on my own but can't.

Even while continually praying, knowing that I can't do it on my own, I still selfishly tried to be self-reliant. I stopped praying and walked toward a shortcut. But it wasn't a shortcut - I had my streets backward. So I turned around and went back to the road I was supposed to be on. And I prayed. I was out of water.

I found shade to walk under. My strenght was renewed. My pains were gone. I walked on. Everything I did was with the thought "Home is ahead, only God can get me there."

My home is not here on earth. My home is in heaven with my Father. May this walk today, where I honestly felt that I was going to die, be a reminder to me to look to heaven where my Father is and remember, "Home is ahead, only God can get me there."

No comments: